Robotics industry has seen a large number of disruptive innovations which have garnered traction with the progressive society. Sophia is a worldwide reckoned name that comes to our mind whenever we talk about humanizing robots. The advanced AI algorithms are improving our gestures in the robotics industry each day, and we are trumpeting great feats in the robotics sector.
Behind all these advancements there lies a simple machine working continuously according to the algorithms fed by men. These machines may be small nut bolts to high functioning Nano silicon processors. These electronic tools are the small drops which make up the vast robotic ocean and assist the humans in day to day activities.
Robotics industry needs agile machinery along with sustainable composite materials for manufacturing flexible and durable inventories that are used up in the production process. Making these intricate tools through our conventional manufacturing process is time-consuming and expensive. 3D printing comes to your rescue in these times because you can’t remain out-dated in the present times.
The combination of 3D printing technology with the robots is being looked upon with great enthusiasm by the industry. The global sales have tripled in 2018 and are expected to rise at a very steady rate in upcoming years, paving a new era for the robotics manufacturing industry.
Benefits of 3D Printing in The Robotics Industry
Rapid prototyping for efficiency: Improving the systems of robots to enhance their features and control the defects is a crucial part of manufacturing. Rapid prototyping gives the manufacturers the ability to make a small scale model of the product and test various codes and functions. It helps to control the cost by pre-testing and validating your designs for lapses. When the robot passes the quality check, the scale and volume could be increased easily through 3D printers.
Maintaining industrial robots: Industrial automation is being adopted in all major manufacturing companies as it speeds up the overall process and also saves money. Moreover, they are easy to maintain and carry a very low depreciation value in the long term when compared to the spending on manual labour. 3D printing technology is beneficial in making and maintaining these industrial robots which could be designed for a diverse range of manufacturing processes.
Eases research and replacements: One industry which needs regular innovation and improvement upon existing designs is the robotics industry. Our human resource is capable of achieving great feats in the robotics sector. It should be complemented with easily available research tools. 3D printing in robotics research has huge potential as it can accelerate the on-going testing process and could be employed anywhere without much hassle.
Use of new composite materials: 3D printers enable manufacturers to test various durable materials and even modify them to build strong and durable alloys. It is needed to build lightweight and non-corrosive robots which can be used for the long term without any major material degradation.
Key Applications of 3D Printers in Robotics
- Product design: The CAD software that functions simultaneously along with the 3D printers are one of the most preferred ways to pre-design your prototype. It features a whole range of designing tools which helps you craft even most complex geometries with utmost precision. The suggestions can be incorporated into your working models to make the product ergonomic and work seamlessly.
- Prototyping: Prototyping helps in making the first concept of your design as a 3D model and review it for the quality assurance measures. It enables your design to get modified and validated. It is one of the reasons for effective communication between the manufacturers and clients. Various emerging technologies can be tested on the prototype and improved as per the requirements. After successful validation, the production can be scaled up in terms of size and volume, keeping all the geometries and features as planned.
- Circuit enclosures: 3D printers can build durable & compact circuit enclosures with a very fine polymer to make it lightweight and strong which also helps in making the best utilization of given space. These non-corrosive materials shield the most important components of the robots and protect it from water or corrosion.
- Spare parts: Industries use 3D printers for manufacturing a wide range of spare parts that are utilized by the working hardware models. It proves an efficient way as the manufacturing process could be called on-demand which saves storage costs and time.
- Jigs and fixtures: Building strong jigs and fixtures help the robots to manoeuvre easily and move their functional parts. 3D printers allow rapid manufacturing of these auxiliary tools which helps in the overall development of the robot body.