Education holds and nurtures the future and should be filled with innovation and practicality. Though theoretical knowledge is also important, it should never come alone without the practical approach. And especially when providing practical and the hands-on experience becomes affordable and easy, it shouldn’t be looked down. 3D printing in the educational industry is a turnkey solution to these challenges. It should be adopted with open arms due to its beneficial uses.
In the recent past, there has been a steady rise in the number of educational institutions coming up which shows the need of getting quality educational tools in the industry to provide good & practical education. While having good faculty is essential, it is also equally crucial to adapt to advanced methods of practical learning. 3D printers in the education industry have been showing good results and are benefitting both students and teachers. Moreover, it is making students, industry ready with practical knowledge and applications about the subject.
Benefits of 3D Printing in The Education Sector
- Better engagement rate: Online ed-techs and smart classrooms have already established their presence in modern classrooms and have proved to be an efficient alternative to traditional learning. 3D printers in classrooms can provide more innovative solutions to access practically any problems. Moreover, it is scientifically proven fact that 3D illustrations and visuals help in building better cognitive memory and functions.
- Imparts critical and problem-solving skills: Human brain functions differently in real and theoretical situations. While we can give students theoretical knowledge, it is the real situation which tests the knowledge. Hence 3D printers help create actual simulations to enhance real problem-solving skills. Students can analyse their decisions later and find a better approach to the problem.
- Sparks enthusiasm: When it comes to educating tender age children, simple bookish knowledge is not enough to spark their curiosity. If they can’t connect to the topic, they may get bored soon and eventually lose enthusiasm for that subject. 3D models can help them demonstrate their thinking capabilities and helps in maintaining their curiosity towards the subject. Empowered students are our future, and we should focus on making innovations to help them feel the knowledge; to which 3D printing addresses in the education sector.
- Practical hands-on experience: What makes 3D printing facilities beneficial in the education sector is its ability to give first-hand learning experience to the students where they can do practical projects and learn through cognitive thinking. We tend to memorise more things that are visual rather than written facts. 3D printing technology can also help students to choose their career paths early as they would already be familiar with live models of various topics.
Use of 3D Printers in Different Education Levels
- Primary Education: The primary education is the stepping stone for any child and requires very careful teaching methodologies to unfold the horizons of the new student. It’s the time when the child starts to realise different facts about our world and starts to build their cognitive thinking. 3D printing technology can help in making them familiar with the initial phase of education such as geometrical shapes, alphabets and numbers. Historical monuments and plants can be printed using 3D technology for giving more practical knowledge.
- Secondary Education: In secondary education levels, students can be made aware of various chemistry lessons which require visualising things. Such as bonds, molecular geometries, bonding patterns, and many more lessons can be taught better using physical 3D models. They can also be used to start the students with the basics of machine drawing and various CAD techniques to design a more promising structure. In geography, they can check the topography of various parts of the world. In history, it could be used to actualise the different historical monuments and artefacts to appreciate the arts and architectural designs of ancient times.
- Professional Education: The regular polished professional education requires practical models and industry experience to be industry-ready. 3D printing technology can be extensively used in engineering drawing and architecture studies. It is quite beneficial in these domains due to their practical approach which can be used for experiments. Medical applications also implement use of 3D printers as they are used for research and innovation. They are a part of designing novel medical instruments and dental tools & models. They can facilitate study of anatomical structures by 3D printing Human organs and biological structures. It is extensively used in the research and development sector to bring upcoming modern innovations that can disrupt the way we live and perceive things.